10 Candle Facts you probably didn't know about.
10 Candle Facts you Didn't Know About
1. YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN (AND STILL ARE^^) BURNING YOUR NICE CANDLES INCORRECTLY
The first burn time of a candle is the most important.
The first time you light a candle, you have to let it burn long enough. The whole top layer of the wax has to become liquid and that takes several hours depending on the size of your candle.
If you do not do this, then your candle will not burn evenly.
2. HOW TO BURN YOUR CANDLE WAX EVENLY
- Trim the wick. Every. ...
- Let the wax melt all the way across. Once your candle's lit, don't blow it out until the top layer of wax has melted all the way across. ...
- Buy multi-wick candles. ...
- Keep the flame away from moving air.
3. NO SMOKE! A CANDLE SHOULDN'T PRODUCE SMOKE WHEN IT'S BURNING
When a candle is smoking, it means the wick is too long.
Easy fix: put the flame out, wait for the wick to cool and trim it to about 1/8 - 1/4 inch long.
4. Rumors… FREEZING A CANDLE WON'T ACTUALLY MAKE IT LAST LONGER
Many people say that freezing a candle before lighting it will make it last longer. Sorry… but it’s fake news!
Freezing the candle actually makes the wax crack and damages the candle.
5. NO MORE BLOWING YOUR CANDLE! YOU SHOULD NEVER BLOW IT OUT
Blowing out your candle produces soot and smoke. You also might blow droplets of hot liquid wax in the surrounding area.
The best way to put out a candle is to use a candle snuffer as it puts the flame out by depriving it of oxygen. If you don't own a snuffer, then take a toothpick, pencil to push the wick into the wax, then stand the wick upright. Then when your candle is cool, trim the wick before lighting it again.
6. WEIRD FACT… CANDLES HAVE BEEN MADE OUT OF COWS, INSECTS, AND WHALES
Candles are not all vegan and natural! Tallow (a byproduct of beef fat) was popular in Europe in the Middle Ages to make candles.
Candles have also been made out of wax made out of insects and seeds. It was even made of spermaceti from sperm whales and various plants.
Candles are now mostly made from paraffin, beeswax, soy and many types of waxes. That's why we choose to use ONLY SOY WAX here at Redemption Candle Company. We want you to have a clean-burning candle.
7. EVEN WEIRDER… CANDLES HAVE ALSO BEEN MADE OF ACTUAL WHOLE FISH
It is called “candlefish” or Eulachon. This fish has such a high-fat content that it can be used as a candle.
8. THE CANDLE FLAME DOESN'T ALWAYS STAND STRAIGHT
Under microgravity, (like on a space station), some NASA scientists have revealed that a flame would be spherical.
This phenomenon is due to the lack of gravity.
9. THAT’S A CUTE NAME… A CANDLEMAKER IS A CHANDLER
Cocorico! It comes from the Old French word “chandelier”.
Before the introduction of electricity, a “chandelier” was a ceiling fitting made of several candles to light up the rooms.
10. PUTTING CANDLES ON CAKES IS A TRADITION DATING BACK TO ANCIENT GREECE
True. Ancient Greeks would bring a cake decorated with candles. It represented the glowing moon, to the temple of Artemis, the Goddess of the hunt and the moon.
It only became a birthday tradition from the 1700s as every candle represented each passing year.